The Hightower has been a does-it-all-well trail bike since its inception. More maneuverable than its longer-travel sibling, the Megatower, and more at home in the steep-and-chunky than its snappy cousin Tallboy, Hightower excels when the route covers 'all points in between,’ and descents come courtesy of some big-ass climbs. 145-millimeters of rear travel complemented by a 150-millimeter front end gives Hightower just a bit more front and rear travel over the first-generation model. Combined with a slacker 65-degree head tube angle, the Hightower still sits squarely in the Goldilocks zone, but with a touch more “Oh sh*t get me out of here” capability when the porridge gets too hot!
If you're on the cusp between the recommended height range of two sizes, the absolute best thing is to try to ride them both. At a minimum, check the stack/reach measurements on your current bike and compare it to the new model you are looking at to get an idea of a fit you are already comfortable with. If riding the bike is not an option, consider the following.
The Tallboy is available in sizes extra small - extra extra large (XS-XXL).
A larger size frame will be more stable, and will give you more room to move without upsetting the weight-balance of the bike. The larger size will put the front wheel further in front of you, which gives the feeling of security and conversely, it will require more significant body movements when you WANT to shift the weight-bias of the bike. Think hard about your riding style and how active/intuitive you want it to be vs stable and speedy. You'll need to work a bit harder to muscle the larger bike around.
Not all bodies at a given height are the same. If you have longer legs and a shorter torso than the average person your height, that may push you towards the smaller of the recommended sizes. If you're all torso and arms, most likely you'll want to size up.
- Kit: R-Kit
- Frame Material: Aluminum
- Fork: RockShox Yari RC, 150mm, 29"
- Shock: FOX Float Performance DPS
- Rear Derailleur: SRAM NX Eagle, 12spd
- Shifters: SRAM NX Eagle, 12spd
- Crankset: SRAM Descendant Eagle DUB 30t
- Cassette: SRAM PG1230, 12spd, 11-50t
- Chain: SRAM NX Eagle, 12spd
- Bottom Bracket: SRAM DUB 68/73mm
- Brakes: SRAM G2 R
- Brake Rotors: Avid Centerline 180mm
- Headset: Cane Creek 10 IS Integrated Headset
- Bars: RaceFace Aeffect R
- Stem: Burgtec Enduro MK3, 42.5mm
- Grips: Santa Cruz House Grips or Burgtec Bartender Pro Grip Minnaar
- Front Hub: SRAM MTH 716, 15x110, Torque Cap, 32h
- Rear Hub: SRAM MTH 746, 12x148, 32h
- Rims: RaceFace AR Offset 30 29" Rims
- Spokes: Sapim Race
- Front Tire: Maxxis Minion DHR II 29"x2.4", 3C, MaxxGRIP, EXO, TR
- Rear Tire: Maxxis Minion DHR 29"x2.4", 3C, EXO, MaxxTerra
- Tubes: Stan's Sealant
- Seat Post: SDG Tellis
- Saddle: WTB Silverado Race Saddle or WTB Volt